Kiseleva Ekaterina Aleksandrovna, Postgraduate student, Russian State Pedagogical University named after
A. I. Gertsen (48 reki Moyki embankment, Saint-Petersburg, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The issue of Schopenhauer’s influence on Turgenev has been a matter of numerous discussions, however no decisive answer thereto has been given yet. There are just few cases when researches managed to prove by specific textual examples a Schopenhauer’s note in Turgenev’s works. The article by means of specific examples provides proofs, comparisons of quotes, correlating trains of thought, interpretation of individual but eloquent notes of Turgenev’s poems in the light of his favorite philosopher’s views.
Materials and methods. Methodological resources include a comparative analysis. In relation thereto the work includes a reference to works of predecessors, who studied Schopenhauer’s influence on Turgenev’s mind. The article also addresses scientists’ works, directly relating to the issue of Turgenev and Schopenhauer within the context of Prose Poems and highlighting the relevant tendencies thereof. A special attention is given to the study of not only genetic, but also typological links, reflecting both similarities and differences between Turgenev’s works and Schopenhauer’s philosophical treatises. A topical and chronological review enables to observe interaction of Turgenev’s thought with Schopenhauer’s doctrines as a process: to see development of his ideas in time, their sophisticated interrelations. Application of not only a philological, but also a worldview analysis corresponds to peculiarities of Turgenev’s creative work and reveals difference of imaginative logic and philosophical understanding. Historic and social factors, relevant for study of Turgenev’s views are also taken account.
Results. Interaction of Turgenev’s creative writing and Schopenhauer’s philosophical ideas by example of Turgenev’s Prose Poems, incorporating metaphysical, moral and aesthetic views of the German philosopher, has been studied.
Conclusions. Philosophical lyrics of Turgenev at his late period is an emotional response to the German philosophical pessimism. It is a very ambiguous response, including implicit polemic. Turgenev complements intellectual resignation by Schopenhauer with emotionally uncompromising attitude to logical conclusions from the very philosophy he seemingly embodies in the images of his Prose Poems. This noteworthy conclusion inspires further apprehension of one of the key subjects of Russian comparative studies.
metaphysics, miniature, poems in prose, philosophical of pessimism, will, reflection, anticipation, ontology of existence, old age, solitude, philosophy of nature.
1. Batyuto A. I. Turgenev-romanist [Turgenev-novelist]. Leningrad: Nauka, 1972, 389 p.
2. Vinnikova I. A. I. S. Turgenev v shestidesyatye gody: (Ocherki i nablyudeniya) [Turgenev in 60s: (Essays and observations)]. Saratov: Izd-vo Sarat. un-ta, 1965, 115 p.
3. Generalova N. P. I. S. Turgenev: Rossiya i Evropa: Iz istorii russko-evropeyskikh literaturnykh i obshchestvennykh svyazey [I. S. Turgenev: Russia and Europe: from the history of Russian-European literary and social ties]. Saint-Petersburg: Izd-vo RKhGI, 2003, 583 p.
4. McLaughlin S. Schopengauer in Russland. Zur literarischen Rezeption bei Turgenev [Schopenhauer in Russia. On literary reception by Turgenev]. Wiesbaden, 1984, 209 p.
5. Schwirtz G. I. S. Turgenev und Deutschland: Materialen und Untersuchungen. Vol. 1 [Turgenev and Germany: materials and research]. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag, 1965, 247 p.
6. Pumpyanskiy L. V. Elektronnaya biblioteka spets. filol. literatury [Electronic library of special philological literature]. Ministry of education and science of the RF. Moscow, 2007. Available at: http://philology.ruslibrary.ru/default.asp?tr/D=139&art/D=336
7. Time G. A. Rossiya i Germaniya: filosofskiy diskurs v russkoy literature XIX–XX vv.[Russia and Germany: philosophical discourse into Russian literature of XIX–XX centuries].Saint-Petersburg:Nestor Istoriya,2011,456p.
8. Tirgen P. Obshchestvennaya mysl': issledovaniya i publikatsii [Public thought: research and publications]. Moscow: Nauka, 1993, iss. III, pp. 64–76.
9. Kurlyandskaya G. B. I. S. Turgenev. Mirovozzrenie, metod, traditsii [I. S. Turgenev. World view, method, traditions]. Tula: IPP Grif i K°, 2001, 229 p.
10. Allen L. Pushkin i Turgenev: tezisy dokladov [Pushkin and Turgenev: report theses]. Saint-Petersburg;Orel,1998, pp. 87–92.
11. Walicki A. Osobowość a historia [Personality and history]. Warsaw, 1958, pp. 278–353.
12. Golovko V. M. I. S. Turgenev. Problemy mirovozzreniya i tvorchestva: sb. nauch. tr. [I. S. Turgenev. Problems of world view and creativity: collected articles]. Elista: Kalmytsk. un-t, 1983, pp. 96–117.
13. Golovko V. M. Chetvertyy mezhvuzovskiy turgenevskiy sbornik [Fourth interuniversity collection devoted to Turgenev]. Orel, 1975, vol. 17, pp. 285–304.
14. Trofimova G. B. Literaturnye i filosofskie reministsentsii v tsikle «Stikhotvoreniya v proze» I. S. Turgeneva (k probleme poetiki): dis. kand. filol. nauk: 10.01.01 [Literary and philosophic reminiscences in the cycle “Proze poems” by I. S. Turgenev (on the problem of poetics): dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of philological sciences]. Saint-Petersburg, 2004, 195 p.
15. Turgenev I. S. Polnoe sobranie sochineniy i pisem: v 30 t. Soch.: v 12 t.; Pis'ma: v 18 t. [Complete collection of works and letters: in 30 volumes]. Moscow: Nauka, 1978–1990.
16. Shopengauer A. Sobranie sochineniy: v 5 t. T. 1. Mir kak volya i predstavlenie [Collected works: in 5 volumes. Vol. 1. World as the will and conception]. Moscow: Moskovskiy klub, 1992, 395 p.
17. Shopengauer A. Aforizmy zhiteyskoy mudrosti [Aphorisms of worldly wisdom]. Moscow: EKSMO; Saint-Petersburg: Midgard, 2007, 736 p.
18. Shopengauer A. Ob interesnom [On something interesting]. Moscow: Olimp; OOO Izd-vo AST-LTD; 1997, 432 p.